Covid-19 Library Updates
Updated July 6, 2020
The Library will reopen to the public Monday, July 13. Below are the procedures and rules for reopening.
Library Reopening Procedures
- The Library will be open M-F from 10-6 and Saturdays from 10-2. We will remain closed on Sundays.
- Keyboards will have covers that are easily cleaned and replaceable.
- The lobby restrooms will be available to the public. The Youth restrooms will not.
- The doors will be propped open to eliminate the door handles as high touch items.
- Restroom cleaning will be scheduled according to current state guidelines.
- Study Rooms and meeting rooms will remain closed.
- Signage will be placed throughout the building reminding patrons and staff to wear their mask and to keep social distance.
- Plexiglass is installed at all service desks.
- Rope stanchions will be in place to help with traffic flow.
- Stacks will not be ‘one-way’
- YSD will keep its stacks closed and the YSD service desk will be placed at YSD’s entry.
- Patrons entering the building must wear masks.
- Patrons unable or unwilling to wear a mask may use our curbside pickup service for materials.
- The Library will be open to all patrons, including reciprocal borrowers.
- Up to 50 patrons can be in the building at a given time.
- Patrons will be encouraged to conduct their business quickly and not linger longer than necessary
- Patrons may use the public computers for a maximum of one hour per day.
- Patrons may use computers only one session per day for a maximum of one hour
- Keyboards to be outfitted with covers that can be wiped down
- Staff to wipe down computers after patron use
Beginning June 8, 2020, the Library offers curbside pickup to Prospect Heights Library cardholders only. Items must be requested in advance. We are notifying patrons by email, text, or phone when holds are ready. Once you have been notified, please call the Library so that we can schedule a time for you to pick up your holds using our curbside pickup service. We appreciate your patience during this time!
Curbside pickup hours:
Monday 1:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Tuesday 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
Wednesday 1:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Thursday 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
Friday 1:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Saturday 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
When you arrive to pick up your holds, please park in one of the two designated spots at the entrance to the Library. Close your car window, open your trunk, and have your Library card ready to show a staff member. Call the Library at 847-259-3500 and let us know which spot you’re parked in and we will bring your items to your vehicle. If you’re on bicycle or on foot, we’ll place your order on a table on the sidewalk.
No returns will be accepted through Curbside Pickup. Please use the drop box at the back of the building for all returns.
Placing Your Holds
You may place holds using our online catalog or via our chat line, both on our website at www.phpl.info, or you can send your hold request via email to the Youth Services Department at email@example.com or the Adult services Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. When your holds become available, you’ll be notified by email, text or phone. You may then call 847-259-3500 during service hours to let us know when you’ll be coming to pick up your items. We will check your items out on your account and have them ready for pickup.
The Library is currently closed but our book drops are open for returns. Due dates have been extended to July 1 and overdue fines have been waived. All items returned to the Library will be quarantined for 3 days before being checked in and put back into circulation. Until further notice please hold on to items that do not fit in the drop box. We are not accepting donations. Thank you.